THE NEW 2015 SPRINTER COMES IN TWO FLAVORS: MERCEDES BENZ AND FREIGHTLINER. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A FEW MINOR STYLING DETAILS AND THE NAMES, THE VEHICLES ARE OTHERWISE IDENTICAL.
Compared to its main competitors, the new Ford Transit and the Ram ProMaster, it attracts attention for its overall size and capacity, yet several features make it stand out above the competition.
1. Unique 4WD system
It comes with an On-Demand 4×4 capability that is exclusive amongst commercial vans.
- 3.0L – 6-Cyl turbodiesel.
- average 4 inches higher ground clearance for off-road experiences.
- load-adaptive stability control system active when 4WD is engaged.
- available in 8550 and 11,030 lbs GVWR.
- 4×4 option will add $6,500 – $6800.
2. New 2.1L Diesel
The new Sprinter offers a smaller and more economical diesel powertrain.
- standard 2.1L – 4-Cyl diesel with 7-sp automatic transmission. 18% increase in fuel economy.
- optional 3.0L – 6-Cyl diesel with 5-sp automatic transmission.
3. Safety Features
Mercedes Benz also added several unique safety features.
- Crosswind Assist – to stabilize from side winds.
- Highbeam Assist, to switch to low beams for oncoming motorists.
- Lane Keeping Assist.
- Collision Prevention Assist.
- Blind Spot Assist.
The MB Sprinter’s market share will remain much smaller than the ProMaster and Transit, mostly because of their substantial lower price point (for gas engine models), yet those who seek a 4×4 with added safety features will find what they need, only in the 2015 MB Sprinter.